Saturday, April 5, 2014

Given the right circumstance…

Now in preventing an affair after you have maintained proper relationships then you minimize the opportunity.

If you don't want to get stung, stay away from the bees.  There are some things I want to suggest here:

1) Recognize the kind of situations that stimulate or tempt you. 

I Corinthians 10:12 (LB) "So be careful!  If you are thinking, ‘Oh, I would never behave like that’ – let this be a warning to you.  For you too may fall into sin." 

I realize that there are a good number of you who are being polite and thinking "It won't happen to me.  Nothing I have to worry about. We've been married 45 years and it ain't going to happen."  Some of you are saying, "Have you looked at my wife/husband recently?  It's never going to happen." 

But given the right circumstances anybody can commit any sin. 

You may be thinking "I would never do that" but Scripture says, you're just setting yourself up for a fall.  It's like taking a big red flag at Satan and saying "Come get me."  Given the right circumstances, you can do anything.  Because of that you need to set up some guards around your life, some protections. 

Those of you who travel a lot face this danger all the time.  You're on the road, in a hotel room in a strange city.  Who's to know what you do with whom?  There's nobody to report on you, nobody to tell tales.  Who's going to know?  The temptation is constantly there.  As they said where I used to live, “What’s done in Vegas stays in Vegas.”

(1) Don't travel alone if possible.  Take a companion.
(2) Put a picture of your family in the hotel room.
(3) Have the cable channels blocked in the hotel room.  Not because you might give in and watch a movie you really don't want to watch but it makes a statement to the front desk.
(4) Call your family every night, talk to them, reestablishes that link between the family.

Just a thought from the front porch…

No comments: