Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The most powerful force in the world…


Ken Blanchard wrote The One Minute Manager and says, "Catch people doing something right and then affirm them."  Parents play a key role in affirming worth.  You do it by spending time, listening, paying attention, by affirming.  There is tremendous power in kindness.  It is the most powerful force in the world, because it's love in action.  Kindness can literally change people. 

That's kindness.  Our world knows very little about genuine kindness.  It knows an enormous amount about cruelty.  Just look at the most popular movies that are out.  Millions of million of dollars spent on movies that have nothing to do with kindness and have everything to do with cruelty.  What our world needs more than anything else right now is massive doses of kindness.  Massive doses of kindness!  There is power in kindness. 

The Greek word for kindness is the word "crestos".  It is one letter different from the Greek word "CRISTOS" which is the word for CHRIST.  When the first church began over 2000 years ago in the Roman Empire, they often confused crestos with CRISTOS and they thought CHRISTians were simply people who believed in kindness.  The kind religion.  What a thing to be confused with! 

The ministry of kindness is for every single individual if you're a believer.  It is interesting to me that in Matthew 25, Jesus says that on the Judgement day at that judgement, the one thing you'll be judged for is how you treated other people.  "I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink.  I was naked and you clothed me.  I was sick and in prison and you visited me."  How we treated other people.  What we're talking about is not some minor issue, it is the heart of CHRISTianity.  Love in action.

Hebrews 10:24 (LB), "In response to all GOD has done for us, let us outdo each other in being helpful and kind to each other..."

I don't know a more counter culture statement than that right there.  In a society that is absolutely self-centered where the whole issue is "What's in it for me? I'm too busy to care about anybody else's problem or need.  I've got my agenda, my goals, my needs, my desires – forget the rest of the world."  GOD says in light of what HE's done for us, let us outdo each other in showing kindness and love.

Who could you be kind to this week?  At home, at school, at work, a neighbor you don't even like, an enemy, a boss... Where could you show kindness?  GOD has placed all kinds of opportunities on you to demonstrate love in action.  Just open your eyes.  Just look around you.  There are people all around you with obvious needs who are waiting to be helped by you, because you've been helped by GOD. 

Just a thought from the front porch…

No comments: