Friday, November 1, 2013

It reduces stress…

If you want to have lasting happiness then you need to learn to be humble.  So how can humility increase my happiness? 

Well for one, humility reduces stress. 

When I’m humble I don’t have to have all the answers, I realize that the world does not depend on me, I can resign as general manager of the universe. 

When I’m humble I realize that I don’t have to solve all the problems in the world.  When I’m humble I don’t have to fake it.  I don’t have to pretend that I’m perfect because GOD doesn’t demand that I be perfect in order to be happy.  I don’t have to play GOD and assume responsibility that’s not mine.

When I’m humble I can live with the tension between the real and the ideal – the way I want to live my life, the way I want my career to go, the ideal for my family, my marriage, my kids and then reality, the way it really is. 

There is always a tension in life between the ideal and the real. And humility accepts the fact that you can be happy because you’re depending upon GOD even though things aren’t ideal.  You may not have the best job and your marriage may not be perfect. 

It reduces stress when I’m humble.

I’m convinced that we take ourselves too seriously and we don’t take GOD seriously enough.  I think that is the crux of almost every one of our problems.

We’re out there trying to impress people with who we are and because we know who we really are and who we want to be there’s stress.  When I become a humble person, when I walk in dependence upon the LORD, it reduces the stress in my life.  As the stress goes down the happiness goes up. 

Just a thought from the front porch…

No comments: