Friday, January 17, 2014

Three kinds of love…

Now the reason why there are so many poor relationships today is that they are built on the wrong kind of love.   I’m sure you know that there are three kinds of love and the first two don't work.

1.         I'll love you if… 

I love you if... you love me, you will please me, you'll be cool, you'll provide me certain financial gain, you give me status, you do things the way I want you to do them.  But the problem is, what happens if the "if" changes?  A lot of people get married on "I love you if..."  Then the if changes so the relationship's over.  Conditional love and it doesn't last.

2.         I love you because… 

This is better, but not much.  I love you because... you're good looking, you're talented, you're a great person, you do things for me, you're doing something right now for me.  But again, what happens if somebody comes along that matches the qualifications better.  What if you find somebody who's smarter, who's prettier, handsomer, wealthier, or pays more attention to you?  The relationship dies.

3.         I love you PERIOD. 

This is the love that focuses on giving rather than receiving.  It's almost, I love you in spite of ...  the fact that you're not a perfect human being, the fact that you don't have it all together, the fact that there may be somebody better looking, or more talented or smarter out there.  I love you PERIOD. 

Just a thought from the front porch…

No comments: