Tuesday, May 25, 2010

be flexible in your plans...

we need to be flexible in our plans.

wrong attitude: presumption. that's when i say, “i don't need GOD and i can figure it all out. i know exactly what i'm going to do.” i just assume that everything is going to go the way it's intended to go, that's presumption.

the bible says that since life is uncertain we should not presume on it. james 4.13-15 (niv), now listen, you who say “today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business, and make money.” why, you don't even know what will happen tomorrow! instead, you ought to say, “if it is the LORD's will, we will live and do this or that.”

it's ok to make plans as long as you understand that they are tentative. a mature person makes his plans flexible. some people make plans and if anything varies in the plan they get an ulcer. mature faith is changeable. i make plans but i realize ultimately that GOD calls the shots in my life.

right attitude: cooperation. i include GOD in my goal setting. how? you pray. anything without prayer is presumption.

instead of saying, “GOD, i want you to bless what i'm doing” we should say, “GOD, help me to do what you're blessing.”

people used to write at the end of letters “dv” which stands for DEO vilente – “GOD willing.” “i'm going to come see you LORD willing. i realize that ultimately my plans may be changed.” that's the right attitude.

proverbs 16.9 (tev), we should make plans counting on GOD to direct us. that's cooperation. make plans but realize they are tentative. GOD, what do you want me to do? pray about your plans. ask him for wisdom.

since GOD is in control my plans have a limit.

just a thought from the front porch…

4 comments:

Alice said...

good reminder for me today! thanks!

nothingprofound said...

Yes, we can't count on anything; just do our best and roll with the waves.

Bonnie said...

Great post Bill. When asked to pray, I always pray God's will for I know not what his plans are for that person. For myself, I used to state my request and ask for favor in the situation. As I matured, I learned to pray God's will in my situation, not mine. One other thing about prayer I've learned is that I need to sit with the request for a while - search my heart to make certain that I'm open to allowing Him to answer my prayer His way and in His timing.

Have a great day!!!

Bill said...

very, very good thoughts, bonnie.