Friday, February 14, 2014

Appropriate and inappropriate responses…


Another way to manager your anger is to release it appropriately.  Once I've reflected, stopped and thought about what's irritating me, then I release my anger appropriately.

Ephesians 4:26 (TEV), "If you become angry, do not let your anger lead you into sin." 

Is that verse saying that it's possible to be angry and not sin?  Yes.  It's possible to be angry and not do something wrong.  There are right ways to get angry and wrong ways to get angry.  There are appropriate responses and inappropriate responses.  There are helpful ways to be angry and there are harmful ways to be angry.  "If you become angry, don't let your anger lead you into sin." 

One of the ways people let anger lead them into sin is by denying it.  We don't like to admit it when we're angry.  Why?  Many people, especially CHRISTians, often think if I deny my anger I'm being patient, that when I'm irritated and I'm angry and I deny it, that's being patient. 

That's not patience that's called lying.  So GOD doesn't say, being patient means say I'm not angry when you really are.  That's lying folks.  That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about here. 

Patience is not just pushing it down pretending it doesn't exist.  Anger is not necessarily a sin, it's how you release it.  Most people tend to express their anger in ways that when they do it they end up being farther away from their goal than before they were angry.  Blowing up never produces lasting change.  It only produces alienation, apathy, and more anger back.

I'm convinced that you can get what you want out of most relationships if you learn to respond correctly. 

Just a thought from the front porch…

No comments: